Refund the received value for transport that has not been in full or partially performed
Refund of the received value for transport that has not been in full or partially performed is made in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Norms and the own regulations of the railway undertakings.”
Extract from Government Ordinance no. 7/2005 – Regulation on the railways transport in Romania, republished
A.Tariff refunds – generally valid conditions
- The passenger holding a valid ticket may waive the trip before or after the beginning of the journey, regardless of the reasons.
- If the passenger decides to wave the trip, he/she is entitled to request the refund of the related fares (for the not performed journey), only under the commercial conditions specific to the type of the purchased ticket.
- Transport tariff shall be fully or partially refunded when: – the ticket has not been used or has been partially used; – because of the lack of seats, the ticket was used in a class or a train category of a lower category than the one mentioned on the ticket, except when the passenger willingly requests to travel in a lower-class or train category.
- If the passenger decides to wave the trip, the reservation ticket fee at a class car shall not be refunded. Transport fee shall be fully refunded, including the reservation ticket if the train for which the ticket has been issued no longer runs or in force majeure circumstances.
- Transport fee shall be partially refunded in cases of: a) traffic interruption; b) train suppression; c) loss of connections; d) illness on the route; e) waiver of the entire journey, but only for the unperformed part of the route.
- In order to be entitled to the tariff refund when waiving the trip (for reasons that are not the responsibility of the railway undertaking), it is necessary to comply with the following rules:
a. in case of tickets purchased directly from ticket offices in the stations, travel agencies or ticket vending machines belonging to CFR Călători or authorized distributors
- submitting the ticket at the sales office in CFR Călători units, for the application of non-use stamp, withing the terms established according to the commercial use conditions, specific to the type of ticket held;
b. in case of tickets purchased online
- usually filling in the form available in the “travel abandonment” section, usually on the Internet from the user’s own profile (from the user account) and the request will be considered only if it is registered within the specific deadlines established for this type of ticket. The request may also be addressed to CFR Călători units, by filling in the standard form, only if it falls within these deadlines.
B. Obtaining the non-use stamp and the amounts due.
- For tickets purchased from sales offices in stations, travel agencies or ticket vending machines belonging to CFR Călători
1.1. When waiving the trip before its beginning
The non-use stamp (required to be entitled to tariff refund) can be obtained as follows:
- before the departure hour of the first train on the route mentioned on the ticket, from any CFR Călători station or travel agency, within the work schedule of CFR Călători staff. To find out the work schedule of CFR Călători with its own staff, see the details below;
- within 1 (one) hour from the train’s departure, only at the passenger’s boarding station.
The amounts due are usually refunded to the unit where the non-use stamp was requested (if the request falls within the deadlines for obtaining this stamp).
- tickets purchased from the existing Kiosk vending machines at the CFR Călători stations, for which the POS receipt could not be submitted, in which case the refund of the amounts due can only be made by the SNTFC territorial structure;
- tickets for which an invoice was issued, in which case the refund of amounts due may be made only in the issuing unit;
- tickets purchased with a payment order, blank check, compensation SNTFC.
In all cases where the refund of the due amounts cannot be made on the spot, at that unit, it is necessary to fill in a standard request. Requests are accepted only at railway stations and travel agencies served by CFR Călători staff, during their working hours, within the deadlines set for applying the non-use stamp (shown above). In these situations, the refund shall be made either by postal order or by bank transfer, depending on the express request filled in by the passenger.
Attention! Upon expiry of the above mentioned deadlines, the request for the refund of the due amounts can be made only based on a written request, enclosing:
- the ticket, whether or not stamped for non-use – as appropriate, and
- an official document showing the impossibility of timely submission for applying the non-use stamp for refund, because of illness, accident, detention by authoritites.
In these special situations, the request must be submitted to the issuing unit (CFR Călători station or travel agency where the tickets were purchased), within maximum 3 (three) days from the departure date of the train for which the ticket was issued.
1.2. When waiving the trip after it’s beginning (on route):
In order to be entitled to a refund, it is mandatory for the partial non-use stamp to be applied on the ticket by the railway station where the passenger wishes to interrupt the journey, if the used ticket gives the right to partial refund on route (according to the specific commercial conditions of use).
If the trip waiver is requested in a connection station (the station where trains are changed in transit, for tickets used for several trains), the refund is usually made by the respective unit, subject to ticket submission to apply the partial non-use stamp, no later than one house from the departure of the connection train (from the station where the passenger wishes to interrupt the journey).
- tickets purchased from the existing Kiosk vending machines at the CFR Călători stations, for which the POS receipt could not be submitted;
- tickets for which an invoice was issued;
- tickets purchased with a payment order, blank check, compensation order, etc.
situations in which the refund of the due amounts can only be made through the SNTFC CFR Călători territorial structure, provided that a standard request is filled in in the railway stations serviced by CFR Călători’s own staff and during their working hours and a non-use stamp is applied under the above mentioned conditions.
In such cases, the refund shall be made by postal order or bank transfer, depending on the express request filled in by the passenger.
If the waiver is requested in an intermediate station on a train’s route or one of the trains route for which the ticket was issued, the refund shall be made only based on a file, through the territorial structures of CFR Călători.
2. For online tickets („CFR online tickets”)
The refund request is usually necessary to be filled in directly online, from the user’s own profile (from the user account), by filling in the form available at the section „trip waiver”. The refund requests may also be filled in at the selling points of CFR Călători stations, but it will only be taken into account if it is recorded at least 6 hours before the departure date and hour of the first train on route (date and time of the passenger’s boarding).
«CFR online» tickets do NOT entitle you to the refund on route, except for the round-trip ticket for the return trip. After the expiry of the 6 hours before starting the journey, « CFR online tickets» shall not be refunded. In case of round-trip tickets, the transport tariff for the return trip shall be refunded onlu if the request is registered (directly online or at the CFR Călători ticket offices) at least 6 hours before the beginning of the return trip.
Regardless of where the request was registered (at a CFR Călători unit or directly online, from the user’s own profile), the due amounts (with a related commission) shall be refunded only through the specialized department from the CFR Călători headquarters, in the card related account with which the payment was made.
3. Refund of CFR tickets purchased from ticket vending machines belonging to authorized dealers (Zebra Pay), located in shopping centers
Tickets purchased from ZebraPay vending machines, located in shopping centers, shall only be refunded if the request is submitted/registered at a CFR Călători unit, at least 24 hours before the departure date and hour of the first train on route (date and time of the passenger’s boarding).
After the expiry of 24-hour period before the beginning of the trip, tickets issued at these terminals of the authorized dealers shall not be refunded. This type of ticket DOES NOT entitle you for the interruption or refund on route.
C. Calculation of the amounts to be refunded for the tickets issued for train and route:
- Transport tariff (without reservation):
– When the request for trip waiver is made before the beginning of the trip or on route from a connecting station (in case of tickets issued for a multi-train route), subject to compliance with the deadlines for submission for the application of non-use stamp, transport tariff for tickets issued at full price, with discount under current legislation or based on commercial tariff offers, including the ticket for bicycle and dog shall be refunded b retaining 10% of the transport tariff value, paid for the unused route from the respective train and route, representing the processing commission/fee, except for round-trip ticket for the return journey.
– In case of round-trip tickets, when requesting the return trip waiver, the transport tariff for the unperformed route, shall be refunded by retaining a 20% of the transport tariff paid for the return train.
– When the request for trip waiver is made at an intermediate station of a train’s route (complying to the submission deadline for the application of non-use stamp and only for tickets entitling this type pf refund), the amount to be retained from the transport tariff paid is calculated as follows: transport tariff (without reservation) for the reclaculated unperformed route, taking into account: 1. commercial discounts granted in relation to the new conditions of the journey made,
2. discounts specific to the type of initial ticket (minigroup ticket, pupil ticket, child ticket, ticket issued based on TrenPlus card, etc.) 3. discounts originally granted for anticipation, or
4. other discounts for special offers on train and route, as the case may be, plus 10% of the remaining amounts to be refunded from the paid transport tariffs (without reservation), as processing fee.
- The reservation fee for class cars is not refundable.
- Bed/berth car supplement fee (when waiving the trip) is refunded by retaining:
– 10% of the bed/berth car supplement fee, if the request is made no later than the day before the departure date of the train from the formation station of the train or the group of cars.
– 50% of the bed/berth car supplement fee, if the request is made on the departure day of the train from the formation station, no later than one hour before the departure time from the formation station of the train or the group of cars. After the expiry of this period, the bed supplement fee shall NOT be refunded.
D. Specific conditions regarding the refund of commercial offers of CFR Călători
1. Refund of tariffs for Season-tickets
If one ceased to use season-tickets, regardless of their type (monthly, weekly, monthly 5, 10, or 15 days), the amounts to be refunded to the customer are calculated based on its request date, as follows:
- before the beginning of the period of use (respectively, before the first day of validity), the tariff is refunded by retaining 10% of the total value, as processing fee;
- on the first day of validity, the tarif fis refunded by retaining 10% of the total value, as processing fee and in addition, shall be retained the value of the transport tariff for one day, related to the type of season-ticket; except for monthly 5, 10 and 15-day season-tickets for which the refund cand only be made in special cases, with supporting documents;
- during the validity period, the tariff is refunded by retaining 10% of the total value, as processing fee and in addition, the value of the transport tariff for the expired days (related to the number of validity days used since the beginning of the validity and including until the submission day of the refund request) shall be retained; except for monthly 5, 10 and 15-day season-tickets for which the refund cand only be made in special cases, with supporting documents.
In special cases (hospitalization of the holder in the medical unit, death of the holder – in which case, the tariff shall be refunded at the request of the legal heirs or in other special situations) leading to the impossibility to use the season-ticket, the tariff corresponding to the unused days of the season-ticket shall be refunded based on a refund request, filled in by the passenger (with supporting documents enclosed).
The tariff for the lost or unused season-tickets, regardless of cause, even if the holder did not have the season-ticket when checking the legality of the trip onboard, shall not be refunded.
2. Refund of tariffs for „VSD Card” offer
If one ceased to use „VSD Card” tickets, the amounts to be refunded to the customer are calculated based on its request date, as follows:
- before the first Friday of the first weekend of the validity period, the tariff is refunded by retaining 10% of the total value, as a ticket processing fee;
- during the validity period, the tariff is refunded based on a request, by retaining 10% of the total value, as processing fee and in addition, the value of the transport tariff for the weekend days used (for a round-trip for every weekend) shall be retained.
Tariff refund may be requested during the validity period, provided the VSD Card is submitted at the railway station or travel agency, to apply the non-use stamp.
In special cases of force majeure proven by documents, within 3 days of the expiration of the validity period of the VSD Card, partial refund is allowed only for full weekends.
There will be no refund for the last weekend. The value of the “VSD Card” shall not be refunded in case of loss.
3. Refund of tariff for „Card TrenPlus” ticket
The issuing fee of TrenPlus card shall be refunded only before the first day of validity, retaining 10% as processing fee. After the first day of ticket validity, the issuing fee shall not be refunded.
The issuing fee for lost, stolen or unused TrenPlus Card for any reason, shall not be refunded.
Tickets issued based on TrenPlus Card shall be refunded according to the generally applicable conditions mentioned above.
4. Partial refund – for some of the passengers of a group
In case of round-trip tickets issued for groups of passengers, if one or more passengers of the group fully waive the journey or waive the retun trip
- the refund shall be made by retaining the transport tariff for the passengers in the group who traveled, recalculated with the discounts corresponding to their number and 10% of the amount to be refunded as a processing fee.
Seat reservation tariff for people who waive the trip shall not be refunded.
For the refund, it is mandatory that the non-use stamp is applied on the ticket, by:
- the departure railway station or
- railway station where the trip was interrupted.
E. Refund of transport tariff – from the railway undertaking’s fault
The transport tariff shall be fully refunded, including the reservation fee, when:
- the train, for which the ticket was issued, ceases to run or in cases of force majeure;
- the train has a well-informed delay of 60 minutes or more, at the departure station, mentioned on the ticket, and the passenger waives the trip, provided that the ticket is issued before the scheduled departure hour of the train;
- the well-informed delay of the train at the departure station leads to the impossibility to provide, at the connecting station, a minimum time of 5 minutes from the arrival of the delayed train until the departure of the connecting train, and the passenger waives the trip; in case of tickets issued for several trains, provided that the ticket is issued before the scheduled departure hour of the train;
- on route, when the passenger loses the connecting train provided to continue the journey, because of the train’s delay, and he/she does not want to continue the trip to destination by the first train of the same rank or an inferior one, on the same route or on another route, so that it reaches the destination with the smallest delay.
- bed/berth car supplement shall be fully refunded only when the slleping car/berth car for which the supplement was issued, no longer runs on the entire distance because of the railway undertaking’s fault.
Usually, the refund is made in the respective unit, based on the approval of CFR Călători management.
2. Partially – for unused route
In case of a train traffic ban, if it was not known before departure from the initial station, and the passenger does not return to the departure station, the value of the unused route shall be refunded at the stopping station where the trip was interrupted, if the request is made within one hour of the train arrival. Usually, the refund is made in the respective unit, based on the approval of CFR Călători management.
Reservation fee for partially used class cars and sleeping cars/berth cars shall not be refunded.
We inform you that CFR Călători complies and applies the legislation, the provisions and the regulations imposed at European level for the railway passenger transport services. According to the provisions of the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council (EC) no. 1371/2007 on the rights and obligations of passengers in railway transport, in the event of delays of more than 60 minutes, our company grants customers compensation for delay, only for international transport services.
CFR Călaturi will apply the provisions of G.D. no. 385 / 12.06.2019 in the national services of rail passenger transport.
We appologize for any inconvenience caused by delays and thank you for understanding.