Refund the received value for transport that has not been in full or partially performed
Refund of the received value for transport that has not been in full or partially performed is made in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Norms and the own regulations of the railway undertakings.”
Extract from Government Ordinance no. 7/2005 – Regulation on the railways transport in Romania, republished
Refunds – General valid Conditions
The traveler who has obtained a valid ticket for a specific train and date may withdrawn from making the journey before or after commencement of the journey, regardless the reason.
In case of customer`s withdrawal from the trip, he/she has the right to request the refund of the corresponding tariffs (for the route not performed), only under the commercial conditions related to the type of purchased ticket (owned).
To be entitled with tariffs refund, subject of travel withdrawal (without any responsability on railways company) it is necessary to respect the following rules:
a. In case of the tickets purchased directly from ticket offices of rail stations, travel agencies or vending machines belonging to SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company or authorized distributors:
- the ticket must be presented for the application of the non-use visa wihin certain deadlines, according to the commercial usage conditions specific to the type of held ticket;
b. In the case of travel tickets purchased online
- the filling is usually done directly on Internet from the user’s profile (from the user’s account) by filling the form in the “travel withdrawal” section and the application will be take into consideration only if is registered within certain deadlines established for this specific to this type of ticket. The applications are also accepted to be submitted to SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company units only if they fall within these set deadlines.
a. For tickets purchased from ticket offices of the railways stations, travel agencies or ticket vending machines belonging to SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company
a.1. travel withdrawal before it begins
Non-use visa (required to be entitled with tariffs refund) can be obtained as follows:
- before the departure time of the first train on the route shown on the ticket, from any railway station or SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s travel agency, within the working timeof the SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s staff. To find the work schedule of SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s units with their own staff, see details below;
- within 1 (one) hour after the train’s departure, only in the passenger’s departure (boarding) railway station, except discounted tickets issued for students.
In such cases the refund of amounts owed (with deduction of related commissions) is usually made by the respective unit, where the non-use visa was applied for. Exceptions are tickets payed by bank card, as well as those for which an invoice was issued. For tickets paid by bank card, additionally the POS receipt is required, for tickets for which an invoice was issued, the refund can only be made in the issuing unit. In the other cases, the refund of the tariffs can be done only based of a file through the SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s territorial structure.
After deadlines refered, the refund request can be made only on the basis of an written claim, to which the ticket is attached, marked as used or not-used, as appropriate, as well as an official document showing the impossibility of presentation on time to apply the non-used visa for refund, due to illness, accident, detention of authorities. In these special situations, the claim must be submitted to the issuing entity (the railway station or the SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s travel agency from where tickets were purchased), within 3 (three) days from the departure date (boarding) of the passenger.
a.2. in case of travel withdrawal after train`s departing (on the route):
In order to be entitled with the refund, it is mandatory to be applied the partial non-use visa on the ticket (for the unused distance with corresponding commission retention) by the railway station from where the journey has been interrupted, if the ticket used entitles to a partial refund during the journey (subject to specific commercial usage conditions).
Presentation of the ticket to apply the partial non-use visa can be made within a maximum 1 (one) hour after train departure from the stopping station where the journey was interrupted.
The unused route can begin:
- from a connecting railway station (train interchange railway station in the route), for tickets issued for several trains, in which case the refund is usually made by that unit. Excepted are the tickets where the payment was made with a bank card for which it`s necessary to present additional POS receipt and those for which an invoice was requested. In the absence of the POS receipt or for the tickets whose invoice was requested, the tariffs refund can be made only on the basis of the file through the territorial structure of the SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company;
- from an intermediate railway station of the train route or from one of the trains for which the ticket was issued, in which case the refund is made only on the basis of the file through the territorial structure of the SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company;
b.-for tickets purchased online („CFR online tickets”):
The refund request should be filled as a rule directly on Internet from the user’s own profile (from the user account), by filling the form in the “travel withdrawal” section. The refund request can also be filled at the ticket offices of the SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s units, but this will be take into account only if it is recorded at least 6 (six) hours before the date and time of departure of the first train from the route (date and time of the passenger’s boarding).
The « CFR online» tickets DO NOT grant the right of refund in progress except for the round-trip ticket for the return journey. So, after the expiry of the 6 (six) hours before the start of the journey, the “CFR Online Tickets” will not be refunded. In the case of round-trip tickets, the refund of the transport charges for the return journey can be made only if the request is registered (directly online or at the SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s ticket offices) at least 6 (six) hours prior the start of the return journey.
No matter where your application was registered (at a SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s unit or directly online, on their own user profile), the refund of the due amounts (with deduction of related commissions) is made only through the specialized service of the SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s head office, in the account associated with the card where payment was made.
Special conditions – Refund in case of issuing tickets for students
- 2nd class tickets issued to students do NOT entitle them to refund after the departure time of the train from the boarding station (the departure station stated on the ticket),
- In the case of tickets issued at 1st class, after departure of the train, it is allowed to refund the amount representing the difference of class with retention of the related commissions, no later than one hour after the train’s departure time from the boarding station,
- Partial refund can only be made when is requested the travel withdrawal for the unused train/trains on the route (from the ticket/annex tickets), before the departure time from that link station (change of trains).
The calculation method of refunded amounts for tickets issued in train and route:
- Transport tariffs:
- When the request of travel withdrawal is made before the journey starts or during the journey through a link station (in the case of tickets issued for a route coverd by several trains), subject to compliance with the presentation deadlines to appply the non-use visa, the transport tariffs issued at full price, with discount under current legislation or commercial tariff offers, including the ticket for bicycle and dog, shall be returned with a retention of 10 % of the paid transport fare for that train and unused route, which represents the commission/processing fee, except for the round-trip ticket for the return journey.
- In the case of round-trip tickets, for the request of return travel withdrawn, the transport charges for the unused journey shall be returned with 20% retention of the transport tariff”s value paid for the return train.
- When the request of travel withdrawal is made during the train journey at an intermediate railway station of a train route (subject to compliance with the presentation deadlines to appply the non-use visa and only tickets entitled for this type of refund), the amounts deducted from the transport tariffs shall be calculated as follows: the recalculated transport fare (without reservation) for the performed journey, taking into account the commercial discounts granted in connection with the new travel conditions, the specific reductions on the original ticket type (mini-group ticket, student ticket, child ticket, ticket issued under the TrenPlus card, etc.), the reductions originally granted for anticipation, or the other discounts for special offers for trains and route, as appropriate, plus 10% of the remaining amounts to be refunded from the paid transport (without reservation), as a processing charge.
- The booking fee for the class coaches, is not refundable.
- The supplement fee of bed/berth car (in case of travel withdrawal) is refunded with the retention of :
- 10% of the bed/berth supplement fee, if the request is made no later than one day before the departure date of the train from its departure (forming) railway station or the group of coaches.
- 50% of the bed/berth supplement fee, if the request is made on the departure day of the train from its departure (forming) railway station, at least one hour before (from the departure time of the forming station or the group of coaches).After the expiration of this deadline, the bed supplement will NOT be refunded.
Specific conditions for certain types of tickets and tariff offers
Tariffs refund for subscirptions
If subscriptions regardless of their type (monthly, weekly, 5 days/month, 10 days/month, or 15 days/month), are withdraw, the calculation of the amounts, which is returned to the client, is made according to the date of its request, as follows:
- before the start of the period of use (ie. before the first day of validity), the tariff is returned with a 10% retention of the total value, as a processing fee.
- on the first day of validity, the tariff is refunded with 10% retention of the total amount, as the processing fee and in addition, the value of the transport fare is retained for a day related to the type of subscription, except for the monthly subscribers of 5, 10 and 15 days for which the refund can be done only in special cases with supporting documents.
- during the validity period, the tariff is returned with the deduction of 10% of the total value, as a processing fee and, in addition, the equivalent of the corresponding fare for the expired days shall be retained (corresponding to the number of validity days used from the date of commencement of validity up to and including the date of application for the refund), except the monthly subscribers of 5, 10 and 15 days for which restitution can only be done in exceptional cases with supporting documents.
In special cases (hospitalization of the holder in the medical unit, death of the owner in which case the fare will be refunded at the request by the legal heirs, or in other special situations) that lead to the impossibility of using the subscription, the charge corresponding to the days when the subscription is left unused shall be refunded on the basis of a refund request filled in by the traveler, accompanied by supporting documents.
No fees are refunded for lost or unused subscriptions, regardless of the cause, even if the holder did not have her/his ticket when checking the legality of the journey was performed on the train.
Tariffs refund for „VSD Card” offer
In case the use of for “VSD card” travel tickets is withdraw, the calculation of the sums returned to the customer will be according to the date of its request, as follows:
- before the first Friday of the first weekend in validity period, the tariff is returned with a 10% retention of total value, as a ticket processing fee;
- during the validity period, based on a request, shall be refunded with a 10% deduction of total amount, as a processing fee, and in addition the value of the transport tariffs used for the week-ends is retained (at the round trip level for each weekend).
Tariff refund can be claimed during the validity period, with the condition of presentation the VSD card in order to apply the non-use visa at the rail station or SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s travel agencies.
For special cases of force majeure, proven by documents, within 3 days of the expiration of validity period of the VSD card, partial refund is allowed only for whole week-ends.
There is no refund for the last weekend. The “VSD Card” value is not refunded in case of loss.
Tariffs refund for the „TrenPlus Card” ticket
The issuing tariff of the TrenPlus Card shall be returned only before the first day of validity, with a retention of 10% processing fee. After the first day of the card validity, the issuing tariff is not refunded.
The issuing tariff for the TrenPlus Card lost, stolen or remaining unused, regardless of the cause, will not be refunded.
Tickets issued based on the TrenPlus card shall be returned according to the general applicable conditions set out above.
Refunding the CFR online tickets
Tariffs refund for CFR tickets issued from vending machines belonging to other authorized distributors (ZebraPay terminals)
Tickets purchased from vending machines, belonging to authorized distributors (currently from ZebraPay terminals), will be returned only if the application is registered at a SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s unit at least 24 hours prior the date and the time departure of the first train of the route (date and the time of the passenger’s boarding).
After a deadline of 24 hours before the start of the journey, the tickets issued at these authorized distributor terminals will not be refunded. This type of ticket DOES NOT grand the refund during the journey.
Partial refund – for a part of travelers in a group
In the case of tickets issued for groups of passengers, if one or more travelers in the group completely withdraw the journey or withdraw the return journey, in the case of round-trip tickets
- the refund is made with the retention of the travel charges for the group travelers who made the trip, recalculated with reductions corresponding to their number and 10% of the amount returned as a processing fee.
The reservation fee for those who withdraw the journey is not refunded.
For reimbursement it is mandatory to set a non-used visa on the used ticket by the:
- departure station, respectively
- railway station where the journey was interrupted.
Refund of transport fares – from the railway fault
The transport charge is refunded in full, including the reservation fee, when:
- the train for which the ticket was issued no longer circulates, or in situations of force majeure;
- the train has an delay endorsed of 60 minutes or a greater delay at the departure station stated on the ticket and the passenger withdraw the journey, provided that the ticket is issued prior the regular departure time of the train;
- the endorsed delay of the train in departure railway station leads to the impossibility of providing at the connecting rail station a minimum of 5 minutes from the arrival of the delayed train until the departure of the connecting train, and the traveler withdraw at the return journey – for tickets issued for several trains, on condition that the ticket is issued before the regular departure time of the train;
- during the journey, when due to the train delay, the traveler loses the connecting train that is intended to continue the journey and the passenger does not want to continue the journey to the destination with the first train of the same rank or lower rank, on the same route or on another route so as to reach the destination with the lowest delay.
- The refund of the bed/berth supplement is made in full, only when is the railways fault, the sleeping car / berth car for which the supplement was issued does not circulate over the entire distance.
As a rule, refund is made in that unit, except for tickets where the payment was made by a bank card for which additional POS receipt is required and those for which an invoice was requested. In the absence of POS receipt or of tickets for which invoice was requested, refunds can be made on a file basis (drawn up by the unit where the refund is requred, through the territorial structure of SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s.
Partially – for unused journey
In case of stopping the circulation of a train, if it was not known before the departure station and the traveler does not return to the outward railway station, the refund of the equivalent of the unused path is usually is made at the railway station throughout the journey where the journey was interrupted, if the request is made within a maximum of 1 (one) hour from the arrival of the train with which the passenger has arrived, except tickets where the payment was made by bank card for which is necessary to present additional the POS receipt and those for which an invoice was requested.
In the absence of the POS receipt or the ticket for which the invoice was requested, refunding of tariffs can be done on the basis of a file (drawn up by the unit where the return is requested), through the territorial structure of SNTFC „CFR Călători” Company`s.
The reservation fee from the class coaches and sleeping cars/berth cars partially used is not refundable.
Please be advised that CFR Călători complies and applies the legislation, the provisions and regulations imposed at European level for passenger railway transport services. In accordance with provisions of European Parliament and Council Regulation (EC) no. 1371/2007 on rights and obligations of passengers in railway transport,in cases of delays exceeding 60 minutes, our company provides refunds for delas to customers. These refunds are currently provided only for international transport services. Information regarding the procedure to apply for compensation.
According to G.O. no. 1078/2014, the national railway passenger services are exempted from the provisions of Regulation 1371/2007 until 03 December 2019.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the delay and we thank you for your understanding.